Thursday 6 August 2009

Travel Photos - Whale sharks, Exmouth - Western Australia


This day may have just been one of the best day trips we've ever done! We were at Ningaloo Reef - Exmouth in Western Australia. The guys we went with from Exmouth were 3 Islands Marine Charters - (http://www.whalesharkdive.com/). They are a great bunch of guys who really do want to look after the whale sharks as well as the customers. None of the whale shark tours are cheap and so we wanted to get this decision right. As soon as we met the guys the next morning, we felt quite assured that we had made exactly the right decision going with 3 Island Marine - they wanted to look after us right from the off. There's also heaps of information given on the trip about the whale sharks and their habits, markings etc.



The excursion to see the whale sharks started well with an offshore breeze flattening out the swell we had experienced on earlier trips. Our practice snorkel was brilliant – a stingray on the ocean floor and then a huge cod fish – my god, I thought they came the size of the batter on your plate. And then a moray eel, mooching at the foot of the coral – and yes that was impressive too. Large “bombies” sprouting roundly out of the sand. Then two more rays – one huge and black, his edges curled at the sides. Exciting and scary all at once. There was plenty of other fish too including cute banded anemone fish like nemo.



Back on the boat we headed out of a gap in the reef and it wasn’t long before the spotter plane had our first target whale shark, it loomed like a large shadow gliding across the surface. I shivered with chill from the breeze and with excitement, I was right on edge, I knew it would be special. We slid into the water and ducked under to be met by a huge gaping mouth – oh my god – I wanted to scream and shout with excitement but I daren’t take my eyes off the beautiful bluey, grey creature in front of me least it disappeared into the murky shadows without me. We swam fast – this lady wasn’t hanging around. I could hardly contain myself but back on the boat I was almost speechless; in awe of such magnificent being – so powerful and yet so docile, gliding through the water, mouth agape with gills pulsating and a slow rhythmic wave of the tail.



On our third swim I found myself almost along on his right side, conscious of the conservation rules I was trying to keep my 3m distance but he kept coming at me, turning towards me so close I could almost touch his smooth, uniquely patterned skin. He was curious, who was this strange sea creature starring so intently at him as he went about his daily life. But I was nervous – it was both incredible and frightening, totally exhilarating being the focus of his attention and vice versa.


After a couple more swims we broke for lunch, totally fulfilled, our expectations already exceeded. Lunch was fabulous by the way.
We then spotted a large group of Manta Rays outside the reef on the way home - this was more than the icing on the cake – it challenged the whale sharks for amazement. We counted up to ten rays after hastily donning our wetsuits again and sliding in with them. They were curious too – it was a wonderful spectacle as they dived and glided about us – almost brushing past, mouths open filtering the plankton. Rays are magnificent creatures, large and other-worldly, the things of sci-fi films – but these are harmless and gentle. As they performed their dinner-dance around us we could see right inside, white internal stripes imitating a rib cage. One was unusually black all over and came up right underneath me; I held my breath and marvelled at every inch of his vast body. After several minutes, they went on their way, unknowingly having given a small group of people an experience of a lifetime. I’ll sleep well tonight!


Video below of our whale shark encounters


Short video below of the manta rays - amazing!